The River Reporter
Featured work from my time as a reporter, editor and community engagement editor at the community paper, located in Narrowsburg, NY.
- National immigration announcements lead to local fear
- New York farmers turn out to oppose fair labor bill
- MAT treatment for addiction gains favor, with caution
- Wayne homeless count reveals increased use of services
- What is the FFRF anyway? (Part of coverage of controversy over religious symbolism on a piece of public land in Honesdale, PA)
- What you should know about the law and bathrooms (part of coverage of a lawsuit against Honesdale High School regarding a transgender student in the girls’ locker room)
Arts & culture
- Making of a mural
- The art in nature: A conversation with Tannis Kowalchuk on Shakespeare, cultivation and one year of Farm Arts
- Once upon a hamlet: Aaron Hicklin prepares for the Deep Water Literary Festival
Comeback Kid profile series
The Comeback Kid series is a project I started to showcase young people living in Wayne County, PA and Sullivan County, NY who have moved back to the area to do innovative and community-oriented work. The narratives rethink the idea that rural areas are devoid of motivated young people. Explore all of the profiles here.
- Dawn Hyde loves you
- Sean Zigmund’s homestead is all natural
International Journalism Network (IJNet)
- Q&A with Margaret Sullivan: Journalists can be better self advocates
- The art of the email newsletter: Q&A with Pittsburgh’s favorite news junkie
- Death of the blogosphere
Egyptian bloggers, writing and reporting on the January 25 uprising, suddenly went offline after 2015. Why and where are they now?
- Tunisia: An Arab anomaly?
Can Tunisia serve as a model for Arab Spring countries? Safwan Masri says no.
AUC News at the American University in Cairo (News@AUC & AUCToday, the magazine)
Featured work from my time as a presidential associate at the American University in Cairo in the Office of Advancement and Communications.
- The Press Persists: A history of the American University in Cairo Press
- Food for the future: RISE installs solar-powered chicken incubators in Fayoum
- Interview with new chair of the Egyptian Exchange, Mohamed Farid Saleh
- Lack of funding keeps shoddy buildings at San Antonio state hospital
- Grieving families, community, push for opioid antidote
- Hispanic women most affected by abortion restrictions, data shows
- ‘Run, hide, fight’ active shooter training gains popularity
Selected work from the investigative nonprofit in Pittsburgh covering western PA.
- Drone technology, popularity outpaces regulations (republished in The Times Herald, UAV Expert News and WITF News)
- How much time is enough to decide? Many seek update of adoption laws (republished in the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, The Herald Times and the Beaver County Times)
- Pittsburgh Police union leader spreads anti-Muslim tweet
The Pitt News
Selected work from my time as a reporter, editor and editor-in-chief at the daily student newspaper at the University of Pittsburgh.
- Home sweet zone: City officials crack down on overcrowding (Pacemaker third place Feature Story of the Year award)
- ‘Diversity includes disability’: Students and faculty with disabilities look for representation on campus (Columbia Scholastic Press Association Golden Circle Certificate of Merit for general feature story)
- PROFILE: Myra Carbonell is taking her time (Keystone journalism awards honorable mention for personality profile)
- COLUMN: ‘Football is So Gay’ (Columbia Scholastic Press Association Golden Circle Certificate of Merit for sports commentary)
- COLUMN: A final push for more journalism at Pitt